Little Bird & Duck Pattern by mail
Hey there, little winged one.
Here's an easy-to-sew little bird you can make in an afternoon. Crafted from boiled wool, felt, or fleece, your bird or duck can be a finger puppet play character, an adorable little face that peeks out of the top of a stocking, an ornament for your tree or tablescape, or a very special package topper. Your pattern-by-mail includes a card stock pattern, a 26-page fully illustrated tutorial booklet (including how you can prep boiled wool for toymaking), plus an additional pattern sheet for optional costume variations and accessories.
If you're new to sewing, you'll find the instructions beginner-friendly whether you have a sewing machine or want to learn hand-stitching techniques for toymaking. Children under 10 will most likely need adult accompaniment in order to succeed unless they already have a bit of sewing experience. If you're more experienced at sewing, you can get creative with lots of costume and accessories options for exercising your imagination. For some ideas to get you started, visit the Design-Your-Own page or our Customers' Character Gallery.
Birds finish about 5 inches tall, so they can fit right into the 1:12 standard for dollhouses. Making a batch of little birds or ducks could be a great way to prep for the holidays this year. Make different characters and/or enlist the children in your life to design costumes for the characters.
Please note: these animals have small parts and are not suitable for children under 3.
To make each little bird or duck, you'll need:
- Body fabric: 10” x 5” piece of felt, fleece, or boiled wool
- Tiny bit of contrast felt, fleece, or boiled wool for beak and feet
- Eyes: 3mm opaque black glass seed beads (6/0), 2 per bird
- body: all-purpose thread
- eyes: button & carpet/button craft thread
- Needle for hand sewing
- Polyester stuffing: small amount for head
- Card stock or index stock for pattern pieces
- Chopstick or turning stick
- Glue: Strong-holding fabric glue: Beacon Fabri-tac or Aleene’s OK to Wash It, hot glue or permanent glue dots
- Disappearing marker for marking position of eyes, nose, mouth
- Fabric markers, crayons, or paint for variations
- Costume fabric: felt, cottons, wool, tulle, etc.
- Notions: ribbon, lace, trim, ric-rac, etc.
Please note: Your purchase does not transfer copyright and is an agreement that you will not forward, duplicate, teach or sell the instructions, or designs.. If you are interested in licensing designs and/or finished product for commercial use, please contact email@example.com. Thank you for understanding!