Hey there piglet.
Here's an easy-to-sew little critter you can make in an afternoon. Crafted from boiled wool, felt, or fleece, your pig can be a finger puppet that peeks out of the top of a stocking, an ornament for your tree or tablescape, a very special package topper, or a one-of-a-kind personal gift. Your PDF download includes the pattern you can print out on card stock and fully illustrated instructions (with how to prep boiled wool), with patterns for optional costumes and accessories. Or, if you'd prefer to get an already-printed pattern in the mail, click here.
If you're new to sewing, you'll find the instructions beginner-friendly whether you have a sewing machine or want to learn hand-stitching techniques for toymaking. Children under 10 will most likely need adult accompaniment in order to succeed unless they already have a bit of sewing experience. And if you're more experienced at sewing, you'll find lots of creative costume and accessories options for exercising your imagination. For some ideas to get you started, visit the Design-Your-Own page or our Customers' Character Gallery.
Pigs are a bit under 5 inches tall, so fit right into the 1:12 standard for dollhouses. Making a batch of piglets could be a great way to prep for the holidays this year. Make different characters and/or enlist the children in your life to design costumes for the characters. Please note: pigs have small parts and are not suitable for children under 3.
If you don't want to round up all the supplies you need to make your pig, click here for the everything-but-the-scissors kit that includes the printed pattern and instructions.
If you'd like to source materials yourself, here's what you'll need to make each little pig:
What you'll need:
• Body fabric: 10” x 7” piece of felt, fleece, or boiled wool (to prep boiled wool, see page 6) will make all 4 pigs
• Costume fabric: felt, cottons, wool, tulle, etc. • Notions: 1 yard narrow ribbon for sashes and bows
• Eyes: Opaque black glass seed beads - 3mm (6/0), 2 per pig for adults - 2.1mm (11/0), 2 per piglet for child and baby
• Thread: body: all-purpose thread—eyes: button & carpet/button craft thread
• Polyester stuffing or cotton ball: small amount for head
• Card stock or index weight paper for pattern pieces
• Chopstick or turning stick
• Glue: Strong-holding fabric glue: Beacon Fabri-tac or Aleene’s OK to Wash It
• Pen for tracing patterns onto fabric
• Needle, scissors, etc.
• Fine-point black fabric marker or permanent marker for snout
• Disappearing marker for marking position of eyes
• Brown fabric marker for shading
This pattern is for personal use only. If you have any questions, please email me: firstname.lastname@example.org.