Hello little mouse.
Here's an easy-to-sew little critter you can make in an afternoon. Crafted from boiled wool, felt, or fleece, your mouse can be a finger puppet that peeks out of the top of a stocking, an ornament for your tree or tablescape, or a very special package topper. Your printed pattern will arrive in the mail and includes the card stock pattern and fully illustrated instructions (with how to prep boiled wool), plus patterns for optional costumes and accessories. Or, if you'd prefer a PDF you can print yourself at home, click here to order the PDF downloadable version.
If you're new to sewing, you'll find the instructions beginner-friendly whether you have a sewing machine or want to learn hand-stitching techniques for toymaking. Children under 10 will most likely need adult accompaniment in order to succeed unless they already have a bit of sewing experience. And if you're more experienced at sewing, you'll find lots of creative costume and accessories options for exercising your imagination. For some ideas to get you started, visit the Design-Your-Own page or our Customers' Character Gallery.
Mice are about 5 inches tall, so fit right into the 1:12 standard for dollhouses. Making a batch of little mice could be a great way to prep for the holidays this year. Make different characters and/or enlist the children in your life to design costumes for the characters. Please note: mice have small parts and are not suitable for children under 3.
If you don't want to round up all the supplies you need to make mice click here for the everything-but-the-scissors kit that includes the printed pattern and instructions.
If you'd like to source materials yourself, here's what you'll need to make each little mouse:
- Body fabric: 10” x 5” piece of felt, fleece, or boiled wool
- Costume fabric: felt, cottons, wool, tulle, etc.
- Notions: ribbon, lace, trim, ric-rac, etc.
- Eyes: 3mm opaque black glass seed beads (6/0), 2 per mouse
- body: all-purpose thread
- whiskers, eyes: button & carpet/button craft thread
- Needle for handsewing
- Polyester stuffing: small amount for head
- Card stock or index stock for pattern pieces
- Chopstick or turning stick
- Glue: Strong-holding fabric glue: Beacon Fabri-tac or Aleene’s OK to Wash I, hot glue or permanent glue dots
- Mouse tail material
- Disappearing marker for marking position of eyes, nose, mouth
- Fabric markers for shading: pink, brown
Please note: Your purchase does not transfer copyright and is an agreement that you will not forward, duplicate, teach or sell the instructions, or designs.. If you are interested in licensing designs and/or finished product for commercial use, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org Thank you for understanding!